Friday, January 21, 2011

Das Work

Been hard at work on the visitors center, and solved a major issue with it earlier in the week. Ya see, UDK is capable of some amazing lighting... but only if you make use of the lightmaps. I didn't know this, I figured it would take what I gave it and make it awesome. So I spent the majority of the past few days creating custom lightmap UV's, and making sure they're high fidelity enough to make it look good. This changed the game for this level.

Other noticable additions, grid on the tile floor, new rock textures for the pedestols, blocked off the windows downstairs and hallway. Also did plenty of optimizing and redoing uv's. I still need to make the dinosaurs brighter, and lighten the dome up top.

These are in progress shots


And here you can see that the main entrance needs more lights.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome. That looks so familiar.
    It is night time in this scene right?
    I remember it being late afternoon in the movie when the T-Rex breaks the museum. I'd like to see this scene with that lighting maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like my original post failed....this looks great. How is the play back with the light maps? should be just fine depending on your resolution. What resolution did you set them at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, this scene was looking very night-ish. I fixed it earlier today with some light play and a new skydome.

    Sean, it really depends. Most of the major walls and set pieces are 1024's, but one or two of those are going to have to be bumped up to 2048's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome, I don't know much about light maps myself and I'd love to hear more on this topic from you next time we are in class in regards to your findings...are you reserving separate UV sets for lightmap specific?

    ReplyDelete