Sunday, April 10, 2011

DM-Lost Temple/MP-Station update

My IGDA 2nd place level DM-LostTemple

I went through this level and optimized some of the lighting aswell as fixed various mesh problems with flickering and off placement I also added a couple meshes in areas that I noticed needed it as well as removed some useless particle effects. I also went through the level and optimized item placement by removing a good amount of health that was not needed and also moved ammo and weapon placement to increase flow and level playability. Also tweaked the PP settings to tone down the bloom, did that after these screens were taken so those changes aren't visible in the pics below. The tweaking of health placement and item placement made the map alot more control based by having the players have to move through out the level to restock on ammo and make better use of the health pool room, all in all a much better level after the tweaks and much more interesting that the original version I submitted for the level design competition.

Fly thru video:


Screenshots:








Gears of War PC MP-Station
This is a Gears of War PC multiplayer level that is focused around low cover and fast paced game play. I made a relatively straight forward layout that has three levels of play. Each level has a weapon spawn that will direct game play to those levels and has proper risk vs. rewards for each weapon to allow for balanced game play. This level is almost complete I just have to do the final deco meshes such as wires,pipes, monitors, and light fixtures to make it feel like a train station. I also need to figure out what to do with the side walls on the main floor that will not be to mesh heavy and distracting but still be visually appealing. I was thinking a couple store fronts that can be mirrored and then custom signs for each store front to make them all unique if worst comes to worst I will place ivy over them and call it done. I posted this level up on the gears of war forums for testing and feedback ( http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=773157 ) and I will tweak based on that. No fly thru at this time will do that once the level is finished.

Screenshots:










-Jack

2 comments:

  1. Lost temple is looking good too. Sometimes it's good to show game play but I think in this instance I will leave it up to you if enough of the environment is NOT represented as in secret areas and such. I like the layout.
    Looking great

    ReplyDelete