Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Marmoset Alpha Rendering


So I was having issues previously with Marmoset rendering out Alpha maps (the alpha map would mask off the transparent parts correctly, but the shadow would show up solid as the shape of the entire poly plane instead of showing the shadow of the alpha map). Turns out that it works just fine but you have to have Alpha Testing enabled and Alpha-To-Coverage turned up to get soft edges on your alpha shadows (which also requires a higher res alpha map to prevent fuzziness or jaggies on the edges). Honestly I don't know why it wasn't doing this before/why there was a problem with it before.

Regardless, that's great because it means alpha plants are entirely possible in Marmoset then. (You'd be surprised how hard it was to find any Marmoset renders that had alphas with shadows shown.)

4 comments:

  1. what type of file are you using for the alphas? A .tga? 32 or 24 bit? Is the "alpha" stored in a channel or is just a black and white image.

    I'm having the same sort of issues except instead of not rendering the outlines properly its just plain shitting itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used .tga's (I believe they were 24 bit) for the textures and the alpha is a separate black and white map, not stored in the diffuse map file.

    From what I've read the alpha problems all come down to the settings on that Alpha-To-Coverage thing. Just turning it on will get rid of those hard ugly outlines that it usually starts with, and increasing the value will cause the threshold to shrink (it made the edges of each of my leaves move closer to the center of the image and somewhat sharpen).

    I've also read that Marmoset reads alpha's in a weird order sometimes. What kinds of problems are you having? Is it just not rendering them or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out you can only have like one alpha'd material inside of marmoset at a time. Some people have said its per "chunk" of model but from what I have tried its just 1 alpha period, per scene. I have one of my character for the cloth and rope and then I try to put one on some poly planes that are a separate material slot/object and it can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete